Ashen Foundry

PAX West Class Demo Abilities

Intrepid Studios recently announced their upcoming presence at PAX West in September, but fans received even more exciting news in a recent Twitch steam announcement from creative director Steven Shariff: Ashes will be playable at PAX! Shariff even gave specifics on the 4 classes that will be available for play in PvP and PvE settings on the show floor. In case you missed the live-stream, be sure to check out the replay:

Read on to learn about the abilities detailed for use during the convention. Each archetype at PAX will have 8 abilities which they can use. Five of these abilities are active combat abilities, while each class also has a Buff ability, an Ultimate ability, and a non-combat Utility skill. In addition to active combat abilities, each weapon type will have a weapon-use ability which supports active combo attacks through the precise timing of follow-up attacks within specific keyframe windows. By chaining combo attacks together the player will deal increasingly powerful strikes as well as generate the combat resource required to trigger an Ultimate ability.

Abilities are determined by the class archetype, while combo skills are determined by the weapon used. For the PAX demo the weapon choice will be locked to the class archetype, but in the full game players will be able to pair their preferred weapon type with their class abilities.

Tank Archetype

The classic damage mitigation and battlefield control class comes to PAX with a sword and shield equipped. The sword and shield's weapon use ability allows the Tank to initiate a slashing attack which can be followed up with a shield slam and finally with a final strong sword attack. The tank's active abilities are:

AbilityDescription
TauntThe return of the age old "I'm over here" mechanic gives that needed element of battlefield control.
WallWith a smash of the first, a wall erects and blocks enemies and attacks and protects allies.
LassoScorpion would be a fan of this moves that reels and target in toward the tank.
Shield BashYet another classic that applies damage and a stun or knockdown effect.
Offer AidIn a tight spot, a tank can raise his shield to take a percentage of party-wide damage from those in proximity.
JumpThe tank's ultimate ability that allows a player to jump, land, and lasso all enemies within a certain distance.
Threat DetectionThe tank non-combat utility skill that allows the tank to detect enemy ambushes and interest.

Cleric Archetype

This master of healing and life magic will wield a staff during the PAX demo. The weapon use ability for the cleric staff is not yet know at this time.

AbilityDescription
Spot HealA single-target heal that also deals damage to those in close proximity to the healed target.
Life BalanceAn AoE heal that restores life to allies based on damage done to enemies in the area radius.
Group Life BalanceIs your group turning into the haves and have-nots of HP? Life balances averages the health of all party members to keep those squishies alive.
Chain HealA line of healing that arcs between allies while dealing damage to enemies in range as well.
Endow LifeA short-lived buff that prevents death for a short period and severely decreases resurrection time.
Divine FormThis ultimate ability grants party members a heal over time that also increases damage output and causes direct damage to enemies.
Environmental CleansingThis non-combat ability purges environmental effects and curses.

Mage Archetype

The scholar of the arcane arts and elements will use a spellbook at PAX. The Spellbook weapon use ability allows the Mage to hurl magic missiles from range at their target. Combination effects of these missiles apply certain effects.

AbilityDescription
Fire BallA fast-casting targeted spell which deals splash damage and has the potential to light targets on fire if they have certain debuff or environmental conditions.
Ice PrisonA long cast time ice shard which applies a full root to a target but deals no damage.
Lightning BoltA bolt of energy dealing damage in a straight line where the direction of effect is chosen by the player. Combos well with control abilities which keep enemies stationary.
TeleportA self cast movement skill which gives mobility by moving in the direction the mage is currently facing.
Mirror ImageMages can conjure reflected images of the mage which will grant the caster increased evasion buff for several attacks.
Earth EruptionAn ultimate elemental ability that damages all enemies in a broad line template in front of the mage, tripping and damaging opponents.
Detect MagicMages can detect magic which denotes points of interest which are arcane in nature.

Ranger Archetype

This archetype wields a bow and has some combo effects which involve a primary shot, a secondary shot with split arrows, and an arcane shot as the third-stage combination. Rangers feature an interesting minimum distance limitation in order to use certain abilities in combat, so will be important to maintain effective distance from enemies. The ranger's active abilities are:

AbilityDescription
Power ShotA charged ranged attack with the potential to pierce straight through targets. The player can choose how long to charge the shot before releasing.
SnareThe ranger fires a shot to the leg pinning the target to the ground for a short length of time.
Marked ShotDebuffs an enemy combatant, causing them to take increased damage from other sources. Marks are visually indicated to friendly players.
DashA point-blank range shot which also pulls the ranger out of a precarious situation dashing forward quickly along with a quickly fired arrow.
Prepare ShotsA buff ability where the ranger slams four arrows into the ground. As long as the Ranger remains near the arrows their next four shots will deal double damage.
Rain of ArrowsAn ultimate ability where the Ranger fires a large number of arrows which rain down in a large template area.
TrackingA utility skill allowing players to track footprints and find hidden points of interest which are physical (non-arcane) in nature.

More class details are expected to be released over the course of the coming weeks via Intrepid's live steams. So, how excited are you for PAX now? Share your thoughts in the comment section!

23 Replies
  1. #1

Isarii

Moderator61 Posts

This looks awesome! I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the demo at PAX this year.

2. #2

Atropos

Administrator72 Posts

This is great detail. I'm really excited with how much initial information they are sharing as well as how they are designing systems. In particular I think the interplay between:

1. Primary archetype abilities
    2. Secondary archetype abilities
    3. Weapon use abilities

Will give a lot of nice flexibility to character development while also preserving structure as far as the rules of build design.

I definitely like the skill-based component to combo attacks, this was something that ESO had designed for with the first incarnation of their ultimate/finesse system but sadly it never made it to the final game.

Creator of Ashen Foundry and Tamriel Foundry. Former guildmaster of Entropy Rising. Economist and MMO enthusiast.

3. #3

MrPuppy94

Member4 Posts

I wish I could go to PAX for this demo..

Ashes Community Veteran Member

4. #4

Xontian

Member1 Posts

Good write up there Truth. I know I will not make Pax this years but hopefully next year we will see some stuff from the other four classes. I am hoping over the next few moths to a year we will have a fleshed out version of all the classes so we can start to plan our builds we would like to use.

5. #5

Hero

Member1 Posts

this  is just great  thanks for this good write

I could not say that i wish if I can try this demo  for one reason

there is no  summoner class on this pax  that was heartbreaking

indeed I hope they make it great  like avery one of this class

6. #6

Elloa

Member17 Posts

Very clean and clear article;

I'm very curious of how the combat will feel. This is one things to know what the abilities does in theory, but how does they feel is something entierly different.

I'm very curious of the cleric and its spells. As healer, I actually enjoy healing and taking care of my party members, and I do not really enjoy the DPS playstyle where one need to really focus and push the maximum to be efficient. So I really do hope that to play Clerics in Ashes of Creation will not imply that the healers also need to perform a maximum of DPS and combining buffs and the like to push out good healing. This is going against what a healer role usually is in many games. A healer is all about saving ressources, choosing the right spell at the right moment. It's a reactive or preventive role, not a aggressive role. If healers does heal through damage, it will not be a relaxing role anymore and I'm really not sure if I'll want to play that. Nothing is more stressful to have to heal through DPS!!!! (looking at you Chloromancer)

7. #7

Rune_Relic

Member7 Posts

Excellent post Truth. Thanks.

I too have my reservations about healing, mitigation and damage being merge able.

I can, however, understand a lifeforce class being able to specialise into decay (necro/lich) or regeneration (healer) which would require a less powerful hybrid class in the compound state. The devil is in the detail and this is PAX ONLY! So reading too much into anything at this time... would be premature.

On the whole I really like where they are heading with this. It shows a general combat style mindset at the very least. Which is useful, but may only be superficial anyway.

8. #8

Isarii

Moderator61 Posts

The damage component to the healing spells was a real standout point for me as well. Granted, I tend to like that sort of thing (I absolutely adore the melee healers we saw in games like W:AR and Age of Conan), but it's definitely got my wheels turning as to how we may end up seeing healer design play out in AoC.

9. #9

Rial

Moderator8 Posts
    Isarii wrote on July 5, 2017, 1:12 p.m.

That's where I'm drawing from the hope that pure healing will remain viable throughout the game, rather than degrading to DPS with occasional healing. At least it shows that the devs don't want for healers to have to go out of their way and drop the playstyle they originale chose to contribute to the damage.

10. #10

Isarii

Moderator61 Posts
    Rial wrote on July 5, 2017, 1:56 p.m.
    Isarii wrote on July 5, 2017, 1:12 p.m.

That's a really good point actually. There's a big difference between a game like ESO or certain classes in FFXIV where healers stop healing to DPS and a potential system where healers incidentally do damage while healing.

11. #11

Shunex

Member1 Posts

Nicely done :) tank Hype!

12. #12

Atropos

Administrator72 Posts

I agree with your sentiment @Isarii, but I do hope there is a significant trade-off involved. Self-healing damage dealers (while incredible awesome, I like how you mentioned Warhammer Online btw) are really tricky to balance because they tend to be so strong in PvP but lack the degree of specialization required to be ideal in PvE scenarios. Will be interesting to see how much flexibility a spec in Ashes will have to swap between roles even within the same archetype.

13. #13

Ser Alistair

Member1 Posts

Thank-you Truth! I have high hopes for this games classes. Although I main tank in MMO's, this approach of Cleric has me intrigued, I'm intrested in how Fighter will play out too.

I look forward to watching PAX this year and would love to go in 2018 should Intrepid Studios choose to attend.

14. #14

AeonAuron

Member7 Posts

I've been playing Tank for years now and I was sick of it, until i find out about Tank abilities in Ashes. Might give it a go once again.

One thing i want to know is if Tank will actually have decent damage dealing skills? Would suck to not be able to kill anyone or even have a chance on 1v1 scenario.

Auron
    [Reborn]

15. #15

Roseeli

Member16 Posts
    AeonAuron wrote on July 6, 2017, 12:52 a.m.

If I recall from past streams, they have stated that Tanks will not be able to act as a DD. If I recall, the statement was " Tank can't kill anything!" followed by a heckle :(

16. #16

AeonAuron

Member7 Posts
    Roseeli wrote on July 6, 2017, 7:23 a.m.
    AeonAuron wrote on July 6, 2017, 12:52 a.m.

Now that's unfortunate, for me at least.

I was stuck on playing as a guild Tank for so long I literally miss spilling some enemy blood. Maybe a Tank/Fighter or Tank/Mage could have some DD addons to the tanking abilities but I'm guessing we have to wait few more months to find that out.

Another thing that will affect my decision on the class is the fact that we have no fast travel. Let's say I mained a Tank/Tank and I have  DD alt. On a scenerio where my team needs tank but i was on my DD alt, i cant really relog and come with my Tank main since there is no fast travel in the game. Not before the fight is over anyway :P

Auron
    [Reborn]

17. #17

Elloa

Member17 Posts
    Isarii wrote on July 5, 2017, 2:35 p.m.
    Rial wrote on July 5, 2017, 1:56 p.m.

The Elder Scrolls Online is a very good example of meta-healing that got me so frustrated that I abandonned my Templar, and resuscribed to World of Warcraft for a while.  Good groups were expecting you to be a buffer-Dpser, with some small heals once in a while, cause tank and DPS could sustain their own health most of the time anyway. No situation where more furstrating as healer. If I choose the healer role, it's because I like to heal. i enjoy to fill up teammates bars, to select my spells, to manage my ressources, to save my CD for the crucial moment.

I don't really expect Ashes of Creation to offer the same depth as healer than a raiding game such as WOW or FFXIV. But I truely hope there will be occasion to truely shine as a life saver, without the need of placing yourself as buffer-dpser-bit of heal now and then. IF the only way to heal is via damage, like the Chloromancer in Rift, I'm out (of the healing role)! Nothing is more anti-intuitive and stressful than healing through DPS, than needing to give the maximum output of DPS possible versus a ennemy target, to actually see the life bars of your team mate regenerating. I think the concept is great, for those that actually enjoy that, at the only condition a traditional healer is possible.

18. #18

Nivhawk

Member12 Posts

I won't have the opportunity to visit PAX, but I have a feeling the key winner alpha in Q4 of this year will likely be VERY similar to this demo- so I'm looking forward to it.

As someone who intends to play the shit out of some cleric, I'm over the moon to finally get a taste of the skill set. I like the idea there's no skill tree (often times it simply becomes a recipe book and the player actually doesn't have as much customization as it seems- simply pop in the current meta). I'm really intrigued by the Cleric concept so far- a master of life. I hope the kinks get worked out during testing because I've seen a lot of "double dipping" healers go wrong; either too OP in the healing or DPS department or a completely wasteful set of under powered skills.

I really like the mark concept for ranger, and the traditional layout for Mage. Really excited to see the streams from PAX :).

19. #19

Kat Five Knives

Member1 Posts

Thanks for the info, Truth!  The Mage class looks appealing to me.

20. #20

glak

Member1 Posts
    Isarii wrote on July 5, 2017, 2:35 p.m.
    Rial wrote on July 5, 2017, 1:56 p.m.

That is what drew me in the most.

Respond

Sorry, you must first log in or register for a Ashen Foundry account before you may comment on articles!

Please respect the Ashen Foundry Code of Conduct when commenting on articles.